I’m seriously considering something. As in, actually taking into consideration. I think I need to go on a social media fast. I need to break free. Hole up. Quit being baited into caring about things that I shouldn’t. Case in point: Ahmed Mohamed and the clusterfuck fiasco that followed. There is plenty out there, Google it and read up if you’re not aware. I’m angry.
I’m angry about this whole thing, top to bottom.
- that a school would call police rather than parents
- that the first teacher didn’t diffuse the situation or even hold the clock for the school day to help avoid the situation
- that a boy who built a clock and maintained that it was nothing more than a clock and never showed it to anyone else but a teacher who could confirm it was a clock was handcuffed “for his own safety and the safety of others” and humiliated
- that the media twists things around to inspire/enrage society
- the people said it was completely planned for the President’s agenda
- that the boy’s dad is a politician from Sudan and maybe it was all planned
- that social and public outcry is the only thing that gets noticed, but if you have something that needs social and public outcry you are just an attention whore
- I’ve put way too much time, attention and emotion into this and the ‘news’ in general (because let’s face it, a lot of this is not news
Maybe not a full on social media fast. Blogs are considered social media, no? Maybe no Facebook. Should I start with Facebook and work in Twitter and Imgur? I hate/love them all. What if I have a question for a large group of people? What about my home school groups? What about blogs? Comics? TV news?
I think this sounds like I want to put my head in the sand and not see the ills of the world. That’s not completely untrue, but for me, I know how I react. I get angry, I get emotionally involved and frankly, I don’t want to do that. If you believe in things like energy from emotion and whatnot, I don’t need that kind of energy in my life, let alone my home. I feel like it turns me into some kind of zealot or an uneducated naive suburbanite. I simply don’t want the headache of it. I don’t want the online pissing contests. I don’t want the distraction.
I don’t like that these things bleed into my blog, which is supposed to be a repository of refinement. Or is it an archive of atrocity? Whatever it is, it’s not supposed to be this. I need to figure out how to insulate my emotions without suffocating my reasoning. I need to think about how to actually do that.
Okay. Here’s what I’ll do. My plan for the rest of the year:
Facebook – hide everyone except for home school/educational groups. This way I can still communicate with my friends but not have to see the shit they post (good or bad)
Twitter – ignore
Imgur – ignore
I’ll still read blogs and comics and Youtube and Netflix. That’s fair, right? Those things are for school or for an escape or for both. I just hope I can do it, because I really feel like I need this. I worry I’m going to get drawn back into it all because let’s face it, it’s fun and addicting.